How to amend a divorce decree in texas

If you need to change or modify a court order issued during your divorce, you can do so by amending your divorce decree in Texas. However, it requires the approval of a judge and both parties involved. Seeking legal advice from an experienced attorney is crucial to navigate the complex legal system, guide you through the process, and represent your interests in court.

To amend a divorce decree in Texas, follow these steps:

  1. Contact Your Attorney: Discuss with your attorney the need for an amendment to your divorce decree. They will provide guidance on the best course of action and help you prepare the necessary documents.

  2. Draft the Petition: Work with your attorney to draft a petition that outlines the changes you seek to make to the divorce decree. The petition must comply with Texas law and include all relevant information.
  3. File the Petition: Once the petition is drafted, file it with the court where your divorce was finalized and pay the filing fee.
  4. Attend Hearings: Attend hearings before a judge to discuss the proposed amendment. These hearings may involve testimony from witnesses and presentation of evidence to support your case.
  5. Obtain Judgment: If the judge approves the amendment, they will issue a new court order reflecting the changes made to the original divorce decree. If the judge denies the amendment, you may need to appeal their decision.

You May Also Like